Well..here comes my very 1st post of year 2009..
But it is not going to be any fun or happening outings that I've been during New Year eve/New Year..
Sth has been bothering me since 2 weeks ago..
It's regarding my studies..
For ur information, for ChemEng students, we need to select a stream out of 3 in our 3rd level of study..
The options are:-
1. Biotechology
2. Nanotechnology and Materials
3. Sustainable Processig
All the while..Even before I enter uni..I've set my mind on something related with oil and gas industry..so my choice would definitely be the 3rd one--"Sustainable processing"..
Until last year (2nd sem, 2008), when we were asked to fill in the survey form on our desired stream, I was still so confident and chose number 3 without any doubts..
But now..but now..
I was told that no.3 is actually the toughest of all..
Well..maybe not the most difficult..but it's the one with the most workload..
This was told by a senior who has completed his year 3 in Clayton..
We will have 3 compulsory subjects n another subject on our optional stream each sem..
As far as I was told, the 3 compulsory subjects are enough to kill with assignment needed to hand up weekly and test on alternate week. Besides that, all the reports are gonna due on the same time..(Ahhh...the lecturers are crazy!)
Not to forget that for sustainable processing subject, students are required to complete more reports compared to other stream..there is also presentation for case studies..bla bla bla..
"Which stream are u choosing?"
"Sustainable processing."
"YOu sure????" with some quirky tones
After the senior has explained to me, only then I understand why his face expression was so freakish..
Hmm..the reason for I've never gave a chance for nanotech to slip through my mind is all thanks to Mr Lai (Our Bionano temporary lecturer from UTAR)..Sorry to be so straight forward..but seriously, all of us cant bear his teaching method (Is he even conducting a lecture?)..It is a torture sitting in the lecture hall listening him pronouncing a language which is worse than my english..(Well, I noe my pronunciation is really bad..maybe this comparison is not obvious enough..but i'm sure u wont expect this kind of lecturer to be a lecturer..=.=) Perhaps he has hell lots of knowledge..but all he did in the lecture hall was reading slides by skipping those phrase that he doesnt know..n calling those scientist's name by He or She..n we learn nothing from his lecture..(Agree??)
This is like an alien subject to us..it is not like maths or chemisty or even electrical that u probably has touch a little from high school or 1st year..We've zero knowledge on this nano thingy..
Tutorial class is another big big thumbs down..Wasting our time waiting for him to solve 'heavan knows what'..
Can u imagine that?
Sigh~ N now the senior is asking me to seriously consider abt switching to Nanotechnology n materials..
"Lecturers for this subject is very kind and helpful..he is doing all the work..n u jz have to read the stuffs that he prepared for u..HD is confirmed for this stream!!
Although I felt busy enough..but for students taking sustainable processing, u can see them staying back in Uni till late at night dealing with reports n case studies..n yet they couldnt finish other reports of compulsory subjects..n asked for my reports instead.."
O.o {OMG}
W-H-Y I've to face this every year..
Last year was chemical or mechanical..
The year before this was IT or engineering..
Two years before was accountancy or computering..
Years before was Form 6 or HSC/SAM..
Woah~I can see the trend now..whatever I chose initially will somehow being neglected..
Hhhhmmmmmmm..
Since my future work does not necessary need the knowledge I gain from university..
Perhaps I should choose an easy way out..
Honestly, I'm kind of convinced by the senior..
But I'm also quite sure that nobody among my friends would change their mind..
Everyone has got phobia from our Year 2 Bionano..
Especially those who are doing the exchange program..bcz only sustainable processing stream is being offered in Sunway campus..they are not given the flexibility to choose..*Big sigh*
Should I? Should I not?
I wish...I only wish that there is 1 or 2 friends could join me..
Oh dear..This is harder than asking someone to drive me all the way to work..(@#$%^&..what kind of comparison is this?)
So anyone interested of joining me?
*Wishing upon the star*



3 comments:
"Since my future work does not necessary need the knowledge I gain from university..
Perhaps I should choose an easy way out.."
this line reminds me of what veggie said at the food court on xmas day, abt opting for easier modules as electives instead of taking up a subject which we deem to be "useful" for our future career..
Then again, yrs aint exactly an optional module.. it's a stream so yr decision certainly bears more significance than that. but since most of yr frens are taking the 3rd one, it's not that bad right as you will get help from yr friends or have discussion with them whenever you encounter any problems...makes it easier for group projects too as you already have friends as yr potential groupmates.
hmm yeah this kinda thing can be a massive headache, esp when we are uncertain on how it would impact our future... well, decision is down to you. can't comment much since i am no engineering student haha. one day you will come up with a decision, somehow EVENTUALLY you will make up yr mind just like how you did for the past 3 times... :)
Hmm, so that means that if you choose the sustainable processing stream, you'll have to stay in Sunway?
Make a choice which you feel comfortable with dear. Follow what your heart says, that's the most important. Weigh your cost and benefits, write down out in a paper, and see which choice is better. But ultimately, it's your heart that you should follow.
How about biotechnology? Are you considering it?
I totally agree what CY said...you'll EVENTUALLY make up your mind just like how you did for the past times. :)
CY:
Group mates..That's what holding me from my decision ><
However, I was told that for certain subjects, the lecturer actually choose ur team mates for you..So it doesn't really matter already right?
Sigh~70% made up my mind, but still havent 100% ><
PQ:
Nono..Monash Clayton provides all the stream, but Monash Sunway only provides the students with Sustainable Processing..I m definitely going Clayton, don't worry =)
Erm..I'm not gonna consider biotechnology as u can see most biotech students came out doing nth related with their course in Msia..Although I'm not sure whether I will stay back Aus to work or not, but gonna think of the future too.
So I guess I just have to wait for the right time to come..Cz now i still cant really decide yet..
I'll be alright..thx for the concern =)
Post a Comment